Monday, April 8, 2013

Daughters of Midnight (Part 1 of 2)


Daughters of Midnight
by Ryan Slattery

Evil stains in different hues,
Return to white by sin refused,
Never trust a witch’s spell,
A blessing yes, but a curse as well.

Once upon a time in a far off kingdom there was noble King. He loved his wife dearly, but sadly they were unable to have children. The King desperately desired to have a daughter and one night stole off into the night to secretly consult the dark witch, Loreena. As he journeyed the swamp lit a sickly green by the fire of his torch; he then knew he was near. Her house was surrounded by the dead remains of birds, reptiles, and some animals unknown to the King, but he resolved to entreat the witch for a daughter nonetheless. He came to the door and knocked. When Loreena opened the door the King fell to his knees and said, “Dark witch, I am Darius, and although I am the King I come to you on my knees for a favor.”

            The witch sneered at Darius saying, “Take that wretched fire from my face. Why should I grant you any favor? Your family has hunted mine for generations. I alas am all that remains.”

            “Please,” Darius said extinguishing his fire, “at least hear my plea.”

            As Loreena stood over the humbled King she answered, “very well. Since you have come begging I will at least listen to your request.”

            “Thank you,” the King said. “It happens that my wife and I are childless. We have tried medicines and mandrakes, but nothing has cured us of this horrible fate. I ask you for nothing else but a daughter to love. You said you are all that is left of your family. You then know the pain my wife and I have in our childlessness. Please, is there anything you can do?” At this he lowered his head to the floor bowing completely to the witch.

            Loreena considered his heartfelt plea and smiled. She said, “get up you pathetic fool. I do know your pain and I will offer you a bargain. I will give you an elixir which will grant your wish, but it will also grant mine. For you see I also desire to have a child and my potion will give you and your wife twin daughters. If you wish a daughter to be born to you, you must lose one of them to me.”

            The King looked up at the smiling witch not knowing what to say. He stood up and grasped the hilt of his sword.

            “What is your decision?” she asked watching his hands, still smiling cruelly.

            He loosed his grip and said slowly, “very well. We have a deal. But why do you trust me to come back with one of the girls?”

            “My blessing comes with this curse: both girls will die at midnight on the solitary night one of them is not under my roof.”

            The King’s journey home was slow and his mind was as dark as the night sky. The only light he had was that the potion in his hand would grant him his wish.

            Time passed and the Queen had twin daughters. The King was true to his word. With great sorrow the King delivered the child to the witch. When the King’s wife saw that one of her two daughters was missing she asked the King what happened. Afraid to tell her about his bargain with the dark witch, he reported that the child had suddenly died in the night and that he buried the child in his grief. They then mourned together for their lost daughter.

            As their daughter Alessa grew they forgot their sorrows and found delight in her. She was a happy girl and her father taught her to read and ride horses, which became her two favorite hobbies. Her love for books and learning became so great that it wasn’t long before she exhausted the entire library of the King. Eager to satisfy his daughter’s desire for learning and books, her Father set off to distant countries to find the very best the kingdoms of the world had to offer.

            One day, while the King was on an expedition, Alessa took leave of the Castle to ride her horse in the forest. As she rode she passed a horrid swamp, but soon came near an old house. There she saw a beautiful young girl sweeping the stepping stones outside. The girl looked so very like herself that she rode nearer and said, “hello there, I am princess Alessa. I saw you from a distance off, but now that I am nearer I am amazed at how much looking at you is like looking into a mirror.”

            The girl stopped sweeping and likewise marveled, “you have the same face as I, only cleaner. And what a beautiful blouse! Oh, but forgive me,” the girl said falling to her knee, “I have forgotten my manners before the princess.”

            Alessa dismounted her horse. “Please, never mind that,” she said, “do you mind if I tie up my horse? I would like to come in and talk with you a little.”

            The girl approached Alessa and raised her hand as if to touch her hair, “surely you don’t want to get dirty in a place like this. Just look how shiny your hair is…and you smell like apples! How lovely.”

            “Thank you,” said Alessa, “it really is no bother, I would love to come in and sit a moment. I don’t suppose you’ve any books?”

            “Books? Oh sure, my mother has many books. I can’t read myself, but if you insist. She would never let me near them, but perhaps she would be kinder to the princess.”

            With that Alessa tied up her horse and entered the secluded house with the girl. The girls sat down at the table and Alessa picked up a small book. Thumbing through the book she asked the girl her name.

            “My name is Celeste,” she said uneasily, “mother doesn’t usually like it when I look at any of her books without her permission. Maybe you should wait to look at them until she comes home. She’ll be back any minute, I’m sure.”

            Alessa was surprised at some of the pictures she was seeing in the book. She was particularly disgusted by the diagram about how to cut out the eyes of a toad without damaging them. Who would ever need to know how to do that? she wondered. “I think I can see why she doesn’t want you looking in her books,” Alessa said closing the book. “What are these books for? I can only read parts of it. The other parts are in a language I don’t understand.”

            “They are for making potions.” Came a voice from the door. “Celeste, who is this you’ve welcomed into our house without asking me?”

            “Momma, I’m sorry, it’s just…well, look at her. It’s the most curious thing. She looks exactly like me.”

            The witch came closer and inspected Alessa, who noticed a number of toads tied to the witch’s belt, “Well if it isn’t the daughter of the King. Why have you come here?”

            “What are those toads for? Did you say making potions?” Alessa said. “Are you a witch?”

            “You father hasn’t told you about me?” the Loreena said. “That coward!”

            Alessa stood up angrily and pointed to the toads on the witch’s belt. “Who’s the coward? You’re going to kill those defenseless toads. You’re the coward! My father’s very courageous! He’s off in a distant country filled with who knows what danger just to bring books home to me. You haven’t even taught your daughter to read!”

            Witches hate to be insulted, but Loreena only smiled at the news that the King wasn’t home at the castle. The time had finally come for her plan. “I wouldn’t worry too much about the toads, my dear,” said the witch, “you are one who is going to need saving.” With that the witch threw a glittering powder at Alessa, who upon inhaling it, felt her muscles go weak. She couldn’t move! Her mind was still alert and she could see, but all of a sudden she felt no control of her body. Loreena turned to Celeste, “have you ever dreamed of being a princess? Won’t it be nice to smell like apples and have shiny hair? You two look just alike; all you have to do is pretend to be her and everyone will serve you and love you.”

            Celeste was sad for Alessa’s fate, but her sadness was greatly overpowered by her excitement at ridding herself of the dirty clothes and constant chores. “You will let me wear beautiful dresses?” she asked.

            “A new dress for each day!” said the witch, “but only remember, make sure to come visit me at midnight each seventh day. And be very careful that no one sees you. In time we will overthrow the King and Queen and rule ourselves.” Putting Alessa in Celeste’s bed, Loreena continued advising Celeste to act in all ways like a princess.

            That very hour Celeste took Alessa’s horse and rode, slowly and poorly, back to the castle, where she was welcomed home for the first time.

to be continued...
Tell me what you think will happen next by commenting below!

No comments:

Post a Comment